Sunday, November 20, 2011

Viva La Verve - Sketch #2

I'm back with Sketch #2 of the Viva La Verve challenge over at Splitcoast.  As I had mentioned in my earlier post today, I am participating in this challenge for the first time.  You have to upload a creation for each of the four sketches in a given month to be considered for a $100 gift certificate to the Verve store.  Yummy!

My entry for Sketch #1 can be seen HERE.


I adore this sketch.  I guess it's the traditionalist in me, liking things to be balanced.  So.....I made two cards.
I am also entering these at Just Us Girls, where the challenge is to use Red, Green, and White.

This was my first creation --


You know how I buy those $1 Scrap Bags from my Stampin' Up! demo?  All of the papers you see here, minus the pine cone die cut (from K & Co.) and green paper, came from those bags.  That kraft panel was already embossed and distressed, too.  It sure made this card come together quickly.


To fit the rustic feel of this card, I used three different ribbons to make my bow.  There's some bona fide bakery twine on there, too.

Even though I was pleased with the result, I felt I could kick it up a notch, and created this:


I like this one better, because I don't feel comfortable doing rustic cards.  Many of the same elements are used here, but I added Doily Lace Trim punching in ivory to coordinate with a more feminine ivory bow.  I also added a Verve sentiment from Bright Spirits.


The poinsettia and holly leaves die cuts are from K & Co.


I need to do a bit of tweaking on my card for Sketch #3, then I'll be back here to post it.

Oh, a quick note -- THIS card earned me a Top Spool from Ribbon Carousel.  Thanks, gals!


Thanks for joining me!  I am always grateful for your visit.

Colleen

Card #1 
Paper:  Crumb Cake cardstock, patterned papers - SU
Other:  pine cone die cut - K & Co; bakery twine; lace - SU; gingham ribbon - Really Reasonable Ribbon; pearls; Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder - SU

Card #2
Stamps:  Bright Spirits - Verve
Paper:  Close to Cocoa, Very Vanilla, patterned papers - SU
Ink:  Walnut Stain Distress - Ranger; Versafine Onyx Black - Tsukineko
Punch:  Doily Lace - Martha Stewart
Other:  die cut tag - SU; poinsettia and holly die cut stickers - K & Co; ivory ribbon - Stamp Simply Ribbon; pearls

22 comments:

Pauline said...

Oh Colleen, these are just beautiful! SOOOO festive and warm, just gorgeous!!
Congrats on being a Top Spool, so well deserved!

Andrea Ewen said...

Oh, I am in love...with both of them! These cards are just incredible...so vintage, elegant and rustic at the same time (if that's possible!). Well done on both of these, I do like the second one as well, that big, fat, satin-y bow is just calling my name! Splendid!

Marisa said...

Another fabulous take on the sektch, Colleen. Fabulous EF on the top one adn love how you inked it up a bit too. Love the second card :) Lovely punched borders adn the texted in the BG of the poinsettia is fabulous. Can't wait to see what you create for the next one :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

You go girl! Both cards are stunning! Good luck with Verve~

Vicki Dutcher said...

Oh yeah - thanks for playing with JUGS too! :)

Lisa Elton said...

Oh this is YOUR sketch Colleen! These are two warm cozy and gorgeous cards. Keep em comin!!!

Linda Breedlove said...

Oh, Colleen, these are over the top gorgeous!!!
Congratulations on your win!

Andrea M said...

Colleen, these are GORGEOUS cards! WOW! Love them both! Thanks for playing along with Just Us Girls!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I almost missed these! Each are really cool and unique and I really liked both of them. Oh look you won with the one! How cool is that? Now, to the other post.

Chris R. from Iowa

Benzi said...

Super cards, Colleen. I love those pinecones and the pretty poinsettia on the 2nd card. Lots of pretty ribbons, lace, and twine going on here. One hundred dollars would be a nice win! Fingers crossed for you. :-)

Unknown said...

WOW!! These cards are beautiful. I love the vintage feel that first card has!!

Hugs, Linda

Emily Keaton said...

Fab take on the sketch x 2, Col! Gorgeous vintage cards. :)

Kathryn B said...

Very pretty cards Colleen! Wow you did well with this grab bag for a buck! Lots of gorgeous goodies!

Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us Girls this week!

AKiteFlier said...

Great projects - love the rustic feel - it's a "style" I've never mastered but you do it quite well! Thanks for coloring with JUGS this week. Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving!

Maria said...

What a stunning cards! I LOVE THEM! Thanks so much for playing along with JUST US GIRLS this week.

~Tammy~ said...

Big congrats on your win! Good thing you don't need shelf space for all those awards! Your house would be covered and rightfully so! YOU ROCK!

This is a gorgeous take on the next sketch! Love all those beautiful scraps you used! I have so many maybe I should sell mine! Ha! I could create every card from scraps from now well to eternity! It's insane!

Shirley said...

Love both cards! The first is warm and lovely, and the second one, well, is warm and lovely too!! :-)....and I love all of your layering too!

Elise said...

THESE are positively STUNNING! You hit me RIGHT in the crafty bone - and I AM swooning! Splendid! Absolutely, splendid! THANK you, my dear! I'm DELIGHTED you shared this wonderful piece with JUST US GIRLS! xoxo! - Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!

Dana Gustafson said...

So gorgeous! I love both of them! Thanks so much for playing with Just Us Girls!

Unknown said...

again, these are beautiful creations. the second card is my fave...the ribbon and bow puts it over the edge for me! congrat on being named a top spool too! :)

Annette Allen said...

wow they are just so beautiful...you are just rocking these sketches...awesome creativity...

Thanks for you sweet comment..sounds like you had a nice relaxing weekend..

Erum Tasneem said...

I loooove these! I didnt play in any of the Verve challenges this time but I can see what beauties you have added to their gallery! I hope you win!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...