Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Inspired by Rosy Gloves

I was immediately inspired by these gloves, found in HandCrafted:  The Best of Stampington & Company, Volume 7 - page 157 (pardon the glare from the camera):


And because The Shabby Tea Room is going polka-dotty this week, I picked out a piece of Stampin' Up! specialty paper from last season:


I don't have any velvet leaves (wish I did), as they used on the gloves.  I substituted a combination of Tim Holtz Flourish die cuts plus some Martha Stewart Rose Leaf punches. 


The sentiment is Anna Griffin, from one of my beloved sets purchased from eBay several years ago.  They do not have set names, though.  Another eBay find: that gorgeous Venise lace.  I bought some for myself, and for my friend, Andrea Ewen.  (I owed her some goodies.  ;) )


The flowers are handmade, but I cannot take credit for the original idea.  I actually do not remember where I first saw these!  I took a few pics as I went along, to show you how I did it.


Punch out 6 Scalloped Circles (SU punch) in Cherry Cobbler cardstock. 
Sponge edges of each with Bravo Burgundy dye ink.
Spritz each circle with plain water, then wrinkle each one as tightly as you can, into a little ball. 
Unwrinkle them and lay them flat.
While damp, punch a small 1/16" hole in the center of each.
Stack them together, and insert brad in center, like this:


Tightly scrunch up the first layer, into what becomes the center of the flower, like this:


Then do the next layer, the same way:


Continue with the next 4 layers, scrunching up each tightly around each other.


After you've scrunched up all 6 layers, slightly loosen one layer from another to form a flower like the one you see above.
I hope this little tutorial of sorts inspires you to make a flower.  If you try it and show it on your blog or gallery, please let me know!

Thanks for joining me today.  I'll be back early Thursday with a new Play Date Cafe card!

Colleen

Stamps:  Anna Griffin sentiment
Paper:  white cardstock - PTI; Garden Green, Cherry Cobbler, Basic Black cardstock, polka dot specialty paper - Stampin' Up!
Ink:  Bravo Burgundy - SU; Versafine black - Tsukineko
Punch:  Double Scallop, Rose Leaf - Martha Stewart
Other:  Big Shot; Flourish die - Tim Holtz/Sizzix; Fancy Tags die - Spellbinders; Venise lace- eBay; pearls; dimensionals

27 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Absolutely beautiful card!

~Tammy~ said...

Oh my this is dripping with elegance and I love that crochet trim! Do share with me your awesome ebay finding shops!!! (pretty please) Like I need more ribbon, but crinkle ribbon and crochet trim I just LOVE!

Janeen said...

What a stunner! love those hand made flowers. i will try that.

Ann Schach said...

Beautiful, Colleen! I LOVE the flowers!

Carol Hurlock said...

This card is gorgeous Colleen. The flowers are just spectacular. I love how romantic the card is with it's color combination and layout. What a beauty.

Bear Hugs,
Carol

Marita said...

The card is stunning, and i love the handmade flowers♥

Hugs Marita♫♫

Jennifer Rzasa said...

Those flowers are absolutely stunning....I love this card!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Oh, so pretty Colleen. Lovely color combo and that paper flower is gorgeous! :o)

Bev J. said...

Beautiful flower-thanks for the instructions.

Marisa said...

Absolutely LOVE those flowers!! Such a stunning statement on this gorgeous card. I first saw the flower tutorial on Dawn McVey's blog and I think SCS may have one on them not too. Regardless, they are quick and easy to make and make quite the statement too :) Gorgeous card.

Stella said...

A gorgeous way to get inspired and you card took my breath away. Red is not my forte (it's improving slowly...) but these flowers are a fabuluos eyecatcher. I love that lace ( Andrea is a lucky girl..) and the font of the sentiment.
Gorgeous Colleen; this card makes me drooling..
Hugs!
XX

Donna B. said...

Beautiful card Colleen!! I love how you did the flowers!!

Marlena M. said...

STUNNING Colleen! ;)

Kristi said...

Saw your card over at the Shabby Tearoom and wanted to stop by and tell you how striking your card is! The color combination is beautiful and I have to say I am impressed with your flowers;;they are perfect!

Sian Ridley said...

Aaah, this is absolutely stunning! I think black, white and red is one of the best and most effective colour combinations. You've used them in just the right balance :). There are no more words-just beautiful :)

Benzi said...

Wow! This is a real winner. What a wonderful job you did with your inspiration. Love your flowers. I think I did make one of these and threw it away. It wasn't as pretty as yours...maybe I'll try again.

Ink Art Designs said...

Gorgeous Flowers Colleen!!! They look fabulous in red...and really set off the black and white card perfectly!
Dot x

Stacey G.-2 Craf-t-4u said...

Again, so pretty and so elegant Colleen! Black, white & red is such a striking color combo! Beautiful flowers too!

Erum Tasneem said...

I am drooling all over my laptop right now! HOW GORGEOUS IS THIS!!!? WOW! Brilliant!

Maria said...

Truly a fabulous card, Colleen! Those flowers are amazing! Thank you for the tutorial on it. I would very much like to try to make them some time! The lace is very lovely! Your card is a winner...love it! Take care, hugs!:-))

Trees said...

Gorgeous card! I love those flowers- thanks for the tut. And Thanks so much for joining us at the Shabby Tea Room!

Andrea Ewen said...

What a beautiful card, Col...and even more so in real life! Love the tutorial, I just hope my flowers will turn out that good! The splash of red against the black and white background is amazing...No wonder you're in the Top 3 at The Shabby Tea Room for this beauty! Congratulations!

Stella said...

Congrats on your Terrific Top Three. So well deserved!
XX

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the great tutorial Colleen! I'm planning a paper flowers class in the near future and this will really help. I'll let you know when we do it and share the creations.

Victoria Lavender said...

This is great Colleen! I'm linking this post into my Tutorials at

http:/looking4challenges.blogspot.com

Thank you sweetie!

Emily Keaton said...

Absolutely fabulous, Colleen!! What a sophisticated and classy card. Congrats on winning at the Shabby Tea Room for it!!!

Faye said...

Colleen, thanks for directing me to this post of yours. These flowers are so beautiful that I actually gasped when I saw them. Wow, and the method of making them is so much easier than what I was doing. Thanks so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...